Weather forecast from yr.no, delivered by the Norwegian Meteorological Institute and the NRK
Conservation Corner: Shrink Your Waste in 2021
It’s that time of year again -- time to make your New Year’s Resolution! The holiday indulgence inevitably spawns thoughts for some of us of wanting to shrink our waist, but shrinking our waste deserves a second thought as well.
Did you know that the amount of wrapping paper used in the United States, just for Christmas, is estimated to require 33 million trees to produce and would fill more than 5,500 football fields?! (Statistic according to Wall Street Journal)
A study conducted by researchers at Stanford University further indicates that the waste produced in the United States increases by 25% in the period between Thanksgiving and New Year’s as compared to the rest of the year.
Bearing these facts in mind, when you’re making those New Year’s Resolutions, think about making some to shrink your waste for 2021. Here are a few tips to help with this goal:
- Reuse bows and gift bags.
- Carpool or use public transportation.
- Turn off lights and electronics when you leave the room.
- Take reusable bags for your produce as well as general shopping.
- Pack your lunch instead of buying prepackaged or using takeout contain.